I am an Australian artist and spend a lot of time supporting the development of visual arts. My preferred mediums are gouache, acrylics, air brush and pencil. My works include landscapes, seascapes, flora and fauna. I love detail and vibrancy of colour. I am fascinated by all wildlife particularly Australian birds. Their individual personalities are incredible. Much of my work is privately commissioned both nationally and internationally and includes an extensive range of pet portraits. My clients have positively commented on the likeness and portrayal of the individual character and personality of each pet. I find that aspect one of the most important when engaging in Pet Portraits.
My career background includes 30+ successful years in Primary Education in QLD and NSW. It was a wonderful experience and I was able to use my artistic abilities to inspire an appreciation of art, in all its many facets, in my young charges.
During this time I qualified as a Reading Recovery and Special Education teacher. My roles also included Assistant Principal, Consultant in Science and Technology and Consultant in Educational Leadership for the South Western Sydney Region. I lectured part-time at the University of Western Sydney in the Indigenous Student Teacher Education Program (Badanami Unit).
My knowledge and appreciation of Australia's rich Aboriginal cultures grew considerably. In this role I developed and implemented quality teaching and learning programs in all Key Learning Areas to enable all students to access the curriculum and develop the skills they needed to progress as successful, confident individuals. Many of these programs (including Aboriginal education initiatives) are still used as exemplars in Sydney schools.
My Preferred Style & Influences
I have had no formal training in art but have always been able to draw. I am fortunate to have as mentors internationally known artist Paul Margocsy, who has encouraged and supported my growth as an artist. The works of Paul Margocsy, James Hough and Robert Bateman have also greatly inspired my work. I am an ardent fan of the works of Albrecht Dürer.
Because of my love of detail and rich colour I was absolutely taken by the vibrancy and flexibility of gouache. My abilities in gouache techniques and teaching have held me in good stead when demonstrating my work to various audiences
Commissions & Art Therapy
Much of my work is commissioned particularly in the area of Pet Portraits. I really enjoy the challenge of capturing the essence of the individual animal and the connectivity between pet and 'owner'.
As Art Therapist at a Disability Centre for young adults - late teens to early 40s - I developed a program based on the clients' skills and abilities. Individual and program goals were set and the activities were geared towards achievement in all areas. I love teaching and making a difference. It was a rewarding step for me as the response was warm and exciting and the clients achieved much in the area of personal interactions, creativity and fine motor development.
- Highly successful dual exhibition with Helen Dubrovich - "Art on Burraneer" 2019
- Invited to exhibit in the "Mistletoe Winery Gallery" in the Hunter Valley NSW.
- Banks’ Volunteer of the Year Award 2018 – presented by David Coleman MP and the Hon Julie Bishop Minister for Foreign Affairs.
- My work in the area of local arts mentioned in Parliament by David Coleman.
- Private tutor for primary school age students.
- Invited to the role of Specialist Honorary Advisor “Australian Painting Academy Inc” (China, Hong Kong, Australia, USA, Singapore).
- Exhibiting Artist at “Art on Burraneer” Gallery Caringbah South 2017 - 2018
- Coordinator – Oatley 101 Society of Artists Members’ exhibition 2014 - 2018.
- Coordinator/chair – Highly successful (previously Waterbrook) Ardency Art Exhibition 2013 – 2019. Funds raised supported local art related charities.
- President - Oatley 101 Society of Artists Inc 2013 - 2018.
- Speaker on “Art as Therapy” at various community groups. 2017 – 2019.
- Artworks held in private collections in USA, UK, Canada, India, Japan, Germany, New Zealand and Australia.
- Guest critiquing artist at several art societies.
- Private tutor in gouache techniques.
- Art Therapist – Sunnyhaven Disability Centre - 2016/17
- Developed and presented effective resume writing programs for artists.
- Demonstrations/workshops in gouache and acrylic techniques to various art societies and community audiences.
- Works selected for exhibition in the ‘Combined Art Societies, Art of Sydney Awards’ (2009 to 2018).
- The image of “Silent Watch,” is used in presentations by Andy Best, internationally respected Climate Change Advocate.
- “The Boys are Back in Town” used to advertise “When Bush Comes to Town Festival” in Vic in May 2016.
- Exhibiting artist with the successful “13 Leading Women Artists’ Exhibition” in 2012.
- Featured Artist Kurnell Art Gallery July 2012, June 2013, December 2013. Member of Kurnell co-operative 2013 - 2015.
- Donated artworks for Response for Life, Sutherland Hospital, Rylestone Anglican Church, Retina Australia Association, YOTS, Rotary International, Harrington Park PS.
- Launched Harrington Park PS’s first student art exhibition in 2009.
- People's Choice Award GLAS Forster 2021
- People's choice award Oatley 101 Dec exhibition.
- Highly Commended - Frost Over Barraba 2019.
- Janace Holmes Memorial Award - Art Unlimited Dunedoo 2019.
- People's Choice Award - Oatley 101 Society of Artists 19th Annual Members' Exhibition 2018.
- Highly commended – Oatley 101 Society of Artists Inc 16th Annual Members’ Exhibition 2016.
- Highly commended – Oil/Acrylic section Frost Over Barraba 2015
- Highly commended – Contemporary section Henry Lawson Festival 2015
- People’s Choice Award – Evans Arts Council Exhibition 2014 and Frost Over Barrabra 2015.
- Commended – Oatley 101 Society of Artists Members’ Exhibition 2014
- Commended – Waterbrook Open Art Exhibition 2014
- Commended – Contemporary section, Henry Lawson Festival Grenfell 2013.
- Finalist - Oatley 101 Members’ Exhibition 2010, 2012, 2013.
- People’s Choice Award Oatley 101 - November 2012, March 2013, August 2013, March 2014.
Please enjoy browsing. There are more artworks and stories to come. Do continue to drop in and check out what is happening.